Monday, December 6, 2010

A Birthday to Remember in Breckenridge

A lot of things start to change when you hit the big 3 0. Your tattoos start to fade, you can still date hot blonds in their 20s but you can no longer look at high school girls and say they are hot without looking creepy. I'm not alone this year, some of the child star celebrities that I watched as I grew up are also hitting the benchmark including Macaulay Culkin-Home Alone, Ben Savage-Boy Meets World/Princess Bride, Jeremy Jackson-Baywatch(HoBIE), Christina Ricci-Adams Family.

Birthday Horoscope:
Thursday, December 16 2010

Fortunately, your childhood was sprinkled with people from whom you could learn and develop an honorable character. You have become an idea person with a talent for reaching a broad scope of people. It is possible that you will reach many people through your art, but it is also possible that you will lead people with your organizational skills. People accept your ideas easily. In mid-life, you will find your self-expressive personality attracts many rewards. Money, business and domestic problems are solved with your ability to change a concept. Enjoy a bit of reflection this evening, perhaps looking through the photo albums or creating a bit of poetry as you think about the people that made a difference in your life.


A lot of people were calling this my Dirty 30s, and It was unclear to me what that meant so I Googled it.. and here's what I came up with:

Dirty 30-Thirty Pack of Keystone
Dirty 30-List of 30 chemical ingredients that may be linked to cancer

It's said that the average person has up to 7 jobs before their 30th birthday and I add to this statistic, here is my list:

Wegmans Produce Department Stock Person
Cutco Knife Salesman
Landscaper
Town of Gates Buildings/grounds/maintenance
NYS Attorney General (Spitzer) Staff Scientist
YEC Environmental Engineering Project Geologist
CDPHE Water Qual. Control Div. Project Manager

Only 20 more years till retirement (I hope).

I wanted to look at the advantages of turning this milestone age and this is what I came up with...

6. Your first car is now a classic and incredibly rare
7. Hangovers: they're more than just myth and will force you to drink less.
8. You can stopped trying to find yourself and started creating yourself.
9. You get to start anew in my new age range.
10 .You have great experiences from my past and so now I get to add new ones!
11. You can celebrate BIG for this birthday. (check this one off the list)
12. You have years to get use to being called sir.
13. When you get carded it is a compliment instead of them not thinking I am old enough.
14.A ll the life lessons you learned in my 20s, I can now apply to my life.
15. Don’t have to worry about being 30 because I just AM.
16. Get to read all the self help books about surviving your 30’s and nod in agreement with them.
17. Do not have to do it alone, its a new club I can join.
18. A major birthday like 30 means better presents!
19. If you have learn nothing else from Desperate Housewives, 40 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20.
20. People naturally take you more seriously when you are in your 30s.
21. You get to smile when people can not believe you are 30.
22.No longer have to struggle to be an adult because you have years of practice.
23.5 more years and I can be president.
24. Instead of stressing about acne, I can stress about wrinkles and white hair.
26. Don’t have to wait for Santa to bring me a wii, I can go get my own.
27. You're only 5 years away from your first prostate exam.
28. Turning 30 makes you appreciate your 20’s and look forward to your 40s.

So while we are on the topic of lists I also wanted to take a look back and make sure that im still on track with the things Im supposed to know or have done by this age:

1. Identify my goals: Well lets see here, I wanted to finish college with a degree I could get a job with. Check! attained a great job that actually put me back to school for another degree (thanks). I wanted to be self sustaining, Check!! I started some savings, a retirement plan and paid off all my debts. I own my own car and don't live paycheck to pay check, even when there was no paycheck. I wanted to move to Colorado and live the dream, while it took me a while to make this jump, I finally did and Im glad that I have. Now to make my goals for the next 30 years...

2. Start an emergency fund: Check! I even had to dip into it while unemployed for 7 months so you see they do come in handy.

8. Travel: Sorry I skipped down because the other ones were either mentioned or lame at the same time. Lets see here, on my own I've done a bit of traveling including Mexico, American South, American West, still working on getting to New Zealand.


For my 30th birthday we decided to have a 20's send off party a few weeks prior to the actual birth date up at Breckenridge, CO and make it a ski trip to remember.

After careful searching we finally found a condo that would accommodate such an event which was close to the mountain, Main St. accompanied by an amazing view, and a hot tub.

Friday I picked up a few out of towners from DIA sporting a Shot-Ski in the roof rack as an announcement of the weekend ahead. We then made our way westword to the mountains and Breckenridge stopping at one of my favorite watering holes the Yard House for lunch.

We would have gotten to Breckenridge about an hour sooner if it wasn't for my sister's tiny bladder insisting we stop every 15 mins.

Arriving in Breck around 4PM, we parked in the basement reserve lot and unloaded our party supplies and ski gear. The Condo was set about 5 blocks from the gondola and 2 blocks from Main St. It included 2 rooms, 3 bathrooms, and a loft that had a few bunks and a hid-a-bed. We sparked up the fireplace and relaxed for a bit while the onset of snowfall set the mood and got us excited for great ski conditions.

After a jaunt to the store we cooked dinner in the condo, cracked a open a few cold ones, blasted some tunes and waited for others to arrive. This party/vacation was to bring a diverse crowd of both old friends and new friends. At around 9 people started to roll in, delayed by snow and having to aquire a legal parking spot on the back streets of Breck. Introductions were announced and you could hear muffled conversation from the other side of the complex. We were lucky in the fact that it was still early ski season and the complex wasn't very crowded. We played cards for a bit and bed down around night noon to rest up for a long day of skiing and apre` ski.

Sat. we dawned our ski gear and walked down to the gondola. Jer was gracious enough to lend out some buddy passes to the people without a Breck season pass. The sun shone bright, temps were in the upper 20s and the wind was still. In my experience, an uncommon opposite to regular conditions here. Our ski pack would grow and shrink according to skiing style, ability as we seeked out challenging terrain features and sweet untouched deep powder that you see on Warren Miller films year after year. Jer, Ryan, and I were skiing no holds bar aggressive spending just as much time in the air jumping over trees and gaps as we did leaving our mark all over the mountain with rounded turns. Conditions were perfect and I couldn't help but think of the line from field of dreams..."Is this Heaven?"...Nope its COLORADO!! We rested for bit at the base of Peak 7 to regroup and start of a rousing game of Onzy before it was shut down due to the questionable inclusion of little boys (not naming names).

After that, our brave beginner skiiers joined us for a run from the very top to the very bottom. 45 min runs are why I love big mountain skiing. We took a few lifts and traverses to get up to 12,840'. You should have seen my sister's face! She had never been this high, it was brilliant. We then proceeded down what Breck was calling a double black diamond run (beginners were ripped from greens to this-like throwing them to the wolves), but I disagreed with that classification since it was sans bumps. Eager to lead the pack I launched off the lip that I percieved to be 4' or so but ended up being around 10'. Not touching down when expected I threw in a few window rolling jestures and braced for impact. I landed with a cloud of flury snow and grabbed at anything I could get my hands on as I tumbled. Having escaped the deserved yard sale I stood up brushed off as much snow as I could and welcomed my ski mates down the initial face. No one followed my exact path for some reason.

We threw in a few more runs until our legs got tired and sore. Calling it a day around 3:30 we headed to the hot tub to soak and begin apre` ski. Let the party begin! There was the shot ski, a round of the home made drinking game of Life in Dirty New Jersey, and even a very fitting 80's bar party. Lots of laughs and surprisingly nothing was broken and the cops didn't make an appearance. I know, right, whats a party with no cops?

The morning after included cleaning up the carnage and having a few Bloody Marys, the ultimate hangover cure-all, before parting ways.

In all it was an amazing weekend and I'm greatful that I was able to organize an event with such a great turnout. It was just about perfect and I have no complaints at all. So if you too want a party planned, I do parties and I'm for hire.

"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."~Fred Astaire

No comments:

Post a Comment