Saturday, August 21, 2010

Warrior Dash

http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_rockies.php

Call me crazy if this doesn't sound like fun: A 3.4 mile race at Copper Mountain Ski Resort, Colorado. The gun goes off with 2 huge blasts of fire atop towering scafolding. You and 300 other people in your wave are off and running down the entry driveway to the mountain resort and come to the first of 12 obsticals in your path. You jump over 2 parked cars before making a turn up hill. You summit a inclined plywood wall, and then a 15' hay bail pyramid before manuvering through 50 pairs of tires. All that in the first 400', and since you started at roughly 9,000' elevation you are already out of breath. Prior to now as you stood in the start corral you couldnt understand why people were walking up the mountain face as they followed the zig zaging route. Now you know! Your blood is pumping with adrenaline and you gasp for oxygen. Of course you could have walked out of the gates, but Kylee and I stormed off like warriors in battle screaming "GET SOME" down the opening path. By the time we made it past the first 3 obsticles we had a pace set for others to follow..I was leading, My buddy Chris was 200m behind me and Kylee was about 100m behind him as we made our way up the mountain at roughly a 600ft elevation gain in less than a mile. By the time we got to the top Kylee had started to come into view on the switchbacks about 100m behind me and had moved up into 2nd place. Seeing this I knew I had to put some distance in between us so I bombed down the hill as if I were on wheels knowing that Kylee would be a little less conservative on her decent. At the bottom of the mountain there was a crude pond about 8" deep. I crawled in with one realization in mind, im going to get muddy! I had cought my breath for the most part on the downslope but viscuss mud will get you winded in no time... in this case about 50'. Soiled and winded I struggled to get up the 15' slippery incline keeping me from my next obsticle, the tubes.




25/5237 Dan Simpson 77305 29 M 9 25-29 25:31.10 7:48/M
58/5237 Kylee Schuler 77067 24 F 2 20-24 27:08.15 8:18/M

No comments:

Post a Comment