Monday, May 31, 2010

Bolder Boulder 10K

Memorial Day:

When I originally heard about this race and how many people it draws I thought it was going to be a shit show. I mean it cant be easy to organize such an event. However the more and more I heard people talking about it, it turned into a must attend event, and im so glad that I did it.

On Sunday the night before the race I volunteered and helped set up the start line and sound system. It was a little labor intensive moving huge speakers and taking a ride on one of the sketchiest scissor lifts ever in order to get those speakers up on top of the towering scaffolding. All this to earn free entry into the race.

Since I dont have a huge history of road racing, I didnt have a qualifying time to get me into a qualifying wave. To be honest, I did the 2000 Fathers Day 5k in Rochester, the 2008 Montclair 5k and a few sprint triathlons and thats about it! The rest are track meets where I pole vaulted. That's how new I am to racing. That aside I was extremely excited to make my 10k debut and get a time on the board to work off of.

Race Day morning:

I got out to the start line, which is conveniently located less then a block from my house, @6:30 to watch the starting waves and to try to get pictures of Emma and Kylee in the seeded waves A and AA. It was a mad house, I didnt see anyone I knew. They announced that @56,000 runners had signed up for the race, a record year.

There were a few logistical issues that needed to be worked out. First off, I wanted my camera with me at the finish, and Kylee needed her keys in order to grab her car and hit up the post race parties. So, I waited in the mobile locker line for about 30 mins to check the gear that would be transported for me to her at the finish line. Little did I know that they wouldnt even allow her to pick it up even though it was in her name and bib number.

After about an hour of waves going off every 5 mins, It was my turn. I had a short 10 min warm up and stretch and then waited in the mass of bodies for about 20, so that was somewhat useless. I was a little nervous but had rehearsed the race (riding it on my bike a week earlier) and felt rested and ready.

Joining me in my wave was the Denver Nuggets Mascot and 2 CU grads in their cap and gowns. There were a lot of people dressed up and for the most part it was more of a party then an actual race.

The start was announced by bugle and gun and like fox hounds, we were off! The first mile was downhill and it didnt take me more then 800m to catch up with the slower runners from the sequential wave. I started weaving and cutting in wherever I could, aided by a group of polished shirtless runners who lead the way.

At @2 miles was the first water station, I didnt drink but I lost my pack of guys in the mass of people and I was going to have to break through on my own from there. The side lines were strune with fans offering everything from Bacon and Doughnuts to Beer and tots. There was Elvis and other live bands belting out fantastic classic tunes. You couldnt help but feed off all that energy and march on. The Colfax Marathon Relay was sort of like this but not at this magnitude. I mean they had slip and slides, sprinklers, and kiddy pools for those who needed to cool off (Scott took a dive).

My goal for half the race was actually to try to catch up to Chris who was in the first of the G waves (about 15 mins ahead). Mile three down 19th street was my favorite but then getting into all the following turns, the crowd started to bottle neck and I got slowed down considerably. I then heard this pick up line from a hs cheerleader..."how long have you been modeling?" Mile 4 concluded at the course's highest elevation and my plan was to take off at that point. I didnt really reach that point with as much energy as I thought I would have left and I was about 1 min off pace already. I did pick it up coming down the hill but once again with the turns near Pearl St., the crowd began to bottle neck. On top of that we were nearing the later parts of the race an more and more people began walking and not keeping to the sides, nor single file. Yea its safe to say that I worked for my finish time.

Folsom street was inspirational, I started passing out high fives and it really did increase my energy. With the stadium in sight I tried to open up my stride as much as possible, but all the weaving didnt really help. When I got into the stadium there was a huge roar but also familiar voices from the stands. Kylee and Scott were there and I threw up a quick gang sign before turning on the after burners and beating as many 11 yr olds to the finish as possible. They are going to need to get used to disappointment.

Post finish I was happy with my effort, not so much the time but I know I could have at least matched my goal and will definitely get it next time out. By far that was the most fun race I've ever experienced! We were corralled up the hill to tag drop off and snack pack pick up. I downed about 4 cups of water and then walked around for 20 mins looking for any familiar faces, it was a mad house at CU's Folsom Stadium. It reminded me of Penn Relays.

Here are the results:

Dan
Wave: GL
overall place:
1280
division place:
38/481
gender place:
1131/22554
00:43:15.82

*I had passed over 600 people in 6.2 miles and still broke 45 mins.

Kylee
Wave: AA
overall place:
691
division place:
1/686
gender place:
58/26494
time:00:40:47.21

The post race party included a BBQ picnic at Emma's where we had a reunion of the Colfax Marathon Relay team D.I.R.T. that lasted into the night. I survived my first 10k and plan on getting into the seeded waves next year and bettering my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment